Independent mediation and advice

If informal meeting and discussions do not resolve your problem, what should you do?

Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (Acas)

Before starting an official grievance procedure in your workplace you may find the Acas Code of Practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures useful. It sets out what you and your employer should do. Acas have an arbitration scheme for cases of unfair dismissal and disputes under the flexible working legislation.  Acas also runs a free helpline for support and advice which provides confidential guidance about any kind of dispute or query that you might have about issues in the workplace. The line is 08457 47 47 47  and it is open Monday-Friday, 8am-8pm and Saturday, 9am-1pm. You can contact the Acas helpline using text relay by dialling 18001 08457 474747. This is particularly useful if you work in a small company with no HR department. However, there is a limit to what advice ACAS can give.

Union Representative

If you are in a union this should be your first port of call when seeking advice.

Non-government organisations

There are a number of charities and associations in the UK who specifically support individuals facing discrimination. Many are listed in our useful links section. It may be worth contacting them to see if they can provide you with some free advice on how to approach your current situation.