At work – formal action

Written grievance

A formal complaint is usually in writing. You do not have to say that it is a grievance. It is generally best to concentrate on your main complaint rather than including every possible concern you have. Before attending any formal meetings, have a clear idea of what you are going to say, apart from any written complaint. It is often worth taking in some notes so that you can remember what to say and there is a record. You do not need to give the notes to your employer. It is best to answer any questions you are asked by your employer and you can also ask questions. You may want to ask a colleague or union representative to come to the meeting to support you and take notes. If you do not agree with the outcome of the grievance you can ask Acas to mediate on your behalf. Acas conciliated about 1300 employment claims in the past year.